RE: FC2 AMD64 install error!

Hi,

Am Mi, den 01.09.2004 schrieb Ram Kumar um 8:03:
> I tried to add 'S' to startup script by..
> - clicking "Fedora.." in the grub screen
> - clicking 'a' to go to init arguments
> - appending 'S' to the existing script.
> It reported a fatal error. Totally stopped running.
> Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I do not understand what.

Sounds very strange. Don't know what do you mean by clicking (on my
machines there is no mouse avail at this stage), but I suppose you use
the keyboard.

After pressing a a new window with the following line should appear:
  grub append> ro root=....

which is the kernel parameter line for the selected kernel which is
contained in /boot/grub/grub.conf

May be there went something badly wrong during your installation.

If the command line does not work, you should boot from the first CD and
start the rescue system (use
  linux rescue
at the first screen or use the various function key to obtain more
information). That system will try to mount your installed system in to
a directory so you can make the previously described changes to inittab.

Follow the on screen instructions of the rescue system.

> Can I find some e-Book or web site which can explain me the startup
> process, X Windows etc...?

You may check the info at

  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/os.html#OSBOOT

> Here is the display details from 'system information' in windows XP
>
> System Information report written at: 09/01/04 10:30:00
> System Name: ATHLON64
> [Display]
>
> Item	Value
> Name	VIA/S3G UniChromeII Graphics
> PNP Device ID
> PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3108&SUBSYS_74101462&REV_01\4&83D6234&0&0008
> Adapter Type	VIA/S3G UniChromeII Graphics, VIA/S3 Graphics, Inc.

I don't now if one of the xorg drivers directly supports the onboard
chip. You should try to port the RH9 configuration file. You may post
that file here to ask for the details.

Peter