Re: VNC and FC2

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 12:30, Michael Jezierski - Systec Conveyors wrote:
> Setup:
> Dell Power Edge Server
> Fedora Core 2 (kernel 2.6.8-1)
> Using the fvwm X windows (not gnome or KDE)
> [tried to use gnome - didn't like it. KDE gave me weird problems I never
> could tack down]
> Adaptec SCSI 29160 and Breece Hill tape library, running BakBone
> Netvault 7.1
>
> Primary purpose of this is to backup other servers (namely NT/2K) on the
> network. I am putting this server in our server room and would like to
> control it from my desk. So I figure on using VNC right? I followed the
> MAN pages for vncserver and it just indicated to start VNC just type
> "vncserver" .. gave it the password I want to use. When I attempt to
> connect using VNC client it gives me connection refused. I checked in ps
> -aux and VNC is running on ports 5901 and 5902. It's on my local subnet
> so there's no router to jump across.

Most likely you have the firewall running and it is blocking port 5901.
The other possibility is that you need to run vncpasswd as the user that
you will be connecting as.

You will most likely want to setup vnc to start at boot time.  For that
you need to edit the /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file to add an entry for
the user you want it to run as.

Also, from the client you will need to specify the server as:

servername:1

or

ipaddress:1

to connect to the correct port.

Others have covered this earlier today and yesterday also.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

YOW!!  Up ahead!  It's a DONUT HUT!!