Re: advansys scsi == ouch

Paul Howarth wrote:

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 23:49, John McBride wrote:

I'm sorry to say I'm not sure which version it was, I download it off the web on July 1st. though. I think I can find out and email you off list. Installing it this way (did not see it on the servers in my yum.conf) made it tough to auto update...I'm sure that's why it barfed in the upgrade. We like it but my boss turned up his nose at the "/dell" directory, he thought it should be somewhere more FSB compliant, like "/opt/dell" or something (obviously neither of us are FSB gurus).

I use dkms to build modules for the advansys driver (one machine only -
I only have one Advansys card)

I just received an email from initio.com--they have no plans to support the 2.6 kernel.

Could it be that the chipset has unworkable flaws or something? There is a popular network card that has a similar issue--the chipset itself has a flaw that thrashes arp packets kind of at random. It "works" but it certainly doesn't "work right". I recently pulled all of those out of our boxes, too...they were in storage (thus free and available to me) because the MS windows boxes had so many issues with them, they didn't want them in those boxes.

It might be better to just let these cards die.

---
John