Re: advansys scsi == ouch

Paul Howarth wrote:

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 03:43, John McBride wrote:

Paul Howarth wrote:

On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 02:27, John McBride wrote:

There are workarounds, like the dkms stuff, but having used early versions of dkms for our nvidia cards, I'm very gun shy of dkms--lots of problems with it, at least for me.

I'm the person that's done the dkms package for the advansys driver. If
you try it and have any problems I'd be very keen to get it fixed. Do
you still use dkms for anything else (sounds like not)? If so, trying
out the dkms build shouldn't cause any problems/conflicts for you.

I upgraded a FC1 box to FC2 and the dkms could not update the nvidia driver, leaving X hosed. When I tried to remove dkms with "rpm -e" it gave script errors at the end. I had to finally use "updatedb", "locate dkms", "rm -rf blah" and "rpm -e --noscripts" (I think) to remove the rest of dkms from the box and the rpm database.

Ouch. I can see your point there. How long ago was that? I've certainly
not had any problems installing or removing dkms itself (I've been using
it since dkms-1.10, and 2.0.0 came out this week).

Paul.

I'm sorry to say I'm not sure which version it was, I download it off the web on July 1st. though. I think I can find out and email you off list. Installing it this way (did not see it on the servers in my yum.conf) made it tough to auto update...I'm sure that's why it barfed in the upgrade. We like it but my boss turned up his nose at the "/dell" directory, he thought it should be somewhere more FSB compliant, like "/opt/dell" or something (obviously neither of us are FSB gurus).

Thanks again,
John