Re: Certified Linux Laptop

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:57:34 -0400, Lotsa Cabo <lotsacabo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am looking to purchase a new laptop to use for Linux development on
> FC2.  My requirements are...
>
>         >= 1.5 GHz
>         >= 1.0 GB
>         >= 60 GB HD
>         >= 1200 x 1024 NATIVE resolution
>         CD-RW/DVD-ROM (minimum)
>         Wireless (11Mb or 54Mb), 10/100/1000 NIC, sound, USB 2.0, PCMCIA
>         Bluetooth would be nice
>         Flawless functionality with FC2 and/or RH9
>
> Any "tried and true" suggestions?

I have an IBM ThinkPad T30 that's run well with RH8, RH9, FC1, FC2,
FC3T1, Suse 9.1, Lindows 4.5, and probably a couple of other Linuxes
on it that I've forgotten about.  Currently it's running FC2.

It has just about everything on your list (except the GigE and USB2,
but the T30 is a little old -- the T4x models probably have those
standard or at least as options).  The native resolution is 1400x1050,
it has 1GB of RAM and a 1.8GHz P4.  All that in under 5 pounds of
laptop-y joy.

Do I like it?  You'd have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers to get
it away from me.  Or at least until work buys me a new one (which,
unless the lure of a PowerBook becomes too great, will also be a
ThinkPad).

--
Ben Steeves
            ben.steeves@xxxxxxxxx