Help needed getting Epson 2400 Perfection scanner working

Hello, Everyone
I am trying to get my new Epson 2400 Perfection scanner working under
Fedora Core 2.  It connects via USB.

cat /proc/filesystems says the following relevant information:
nodev   usbfs
nodev   usbdevfs

I have edited /etc/sane.d/dll.conf to only have the "epson" line
uncommented.

/etc/sane.d/epson.conf says the following:
# USB scanner - only enable this if you have an EPSON scanner. It could
#               otherwise block your non-EPSON scanner from being
#               recognized.
#		Depending on your distribution, you may need either the
#		first or the second entry.
#usb /dev/usb/scanner0
usb /dev/usb/scanner0

# Try USB printers -- this line is required (bug #122328)
#usb

usb 0x04b8 0x011b

/etc/modprobe.conf reads thusly:
remove snd-cmipci { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-cmipci
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
alias eth0 8139too
alias snd-card-0 snd-cmipci
alias net-pf-10 off

# I2C module options
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev

options scanner vendor=0x04b8 product=0x011b

sane-find-scanner says the following:
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x011b [EPSON Scanner]) at libusb:001:006

scanimage -L reports:

The scanner is plugged in, turned on, and as proved above, detected by
sane-find-scanner.

A potential problem is the output of cat /proc/bus/usb/devices:
T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=05 Cnt=02 Dev#=  6 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=04b8 ProdID=011b Rev= 1.00
S:  Manufacturer=EPSON
S:  Product=EPSON Scanner
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=  2mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

You will notice that statement: Driver=(none)

Our OS is Fedora Core 2, full installation (I never upgrade)  EVERY
package installed, and every official update installed, including the
kernel.

sane-backends: 1.0.13-7
sane-backends-devel: 1.0.13-7
sane-frontends: 1.0.11-4
hotplug: 2004_04_01-1
libusb: 0.1.8-2.1

One thing I need to mention.  I did have Epson's IScan installed when I
first hooked up the scanner.  I did successfully scan a few pictures,
some of quite a high resolution.  When I uninstalled Iscan, and I tried
to go strictly with SANE, no joy.  I tried reinstalling iscan, and now I
can't even scan with that installed.  To clarify, I didn't actually use
iscan to scan, I used a KDE application called Kooka.  Now Kooka doesn't
detect any scanners.  Even when Kooka detected the scanner, no other
applications detected it: OpenOffice.org, The GIMP. If there is anything
else I need to mention, please let me know.  I KNOW that the scanner
works, and that it works on this system.

If I have left anything out, please let me know and I'll be glad to give
you whatever information that you need.

Thanks for your time :)
Steven P. Ulrick