Re: SATA RAID-1 redundant boot?

Stewart Nelson wrote:
I have an FC2 system with six SATA drives, configured as
three software RAID-1 pairs.  Unfortunately, the /boot partition
(and MBR, etc.) is non-RAID, so the system cannot boot if the
drive containing /boot has failed.  How can I configure redundant
boot?

One pair of drives is connected to an Intel ICH5 controller on the
motherboard.  This can be configured as 'hardware' RAID in the BIOS,
but there is no corresponding driver in FC2.  There is a proprietary
(binary) driver available, but I found several postings advising
against using it.

A second pair of drives is connected to an on-board Promise 378
controller.  The BIOS does not seem to allow booting from it.

The third pair is connected to a PCI card with a Silicon Image 3112
controller.  Same situation as with the ICH5.

As a result, I was forced to use software RAID for all drives.

1. Could you please recommend a reliable and reasonably priced SATA
   controller with hardware RAID-1 capability, BIOS boot code and a
   compatible Linux driver? or,

2. Has anyone had a good experience using any of the above controllers
   with proprietary drivers in RAID-1 mode, and achieved redundant boot?
   or,

3. Is there a way to set up two separate boot partitions, MBRs, etc.,
   so that either can boot the system?

TIA,

Stewart

If you look through the archives for August, you will find that this was just discussed. It comes down to GRUB is "not" RAID aware. This causes problems in your situation. In the archives you will see a workaround.

It has to do with copying the MBR to the other drive(s).

Sorry, I don't have the subject line anymore.

--
Robin Laing