Re: Fedora Core 2 and WinXP dual boot

Paul Howarth wrote:

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 19:08, Beri, Rohit wrote:

All:

I have read a few post on how this is done and few things one needs to look out for... In my situation I have 2 hdd for my dell latitude, one running WinXP and the other Fedora Core 2, I was swapping HDD before.

Just yesterday I bought a media bay so I can plug fedora Core 2 as a second hdd. I was wonderding how to configure without formatting fedora core hdd to be able to chose which OS i want to boot to when I start the machine.

Any pointers ?

There are a variety of ways of achieving this, some using the XP bootloader to load grub (e.g. http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm) and some using grub to load the XP bootloader (e.g. http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Multiboot-with-GRUB.html). I've used both methods and there's not a lot to choose between them. Given that your machine already has XP as the default OS set up though, I'd be inclined to go for the first one, adding Linux as an additional OS on the XP boot menu (the menu doesn't show by default if you only have XP installed). You need to install grub or lilo on one of your linux partitions (conventionally the root partition, e.g. /dev/hdb1) and then have bootpart.exe add an entry to your c:\boot.ini to load up linux from that partition.

Paul.

Thanks for the pointer. I am going to work on this over the weekend. Will try to post my discoveries...

Thanks,

-B