Kernel update oddity.

This is strange. On my left side is my dual-CPU workstation, which boots an smp kernel. On my right side is a garden-variety laptop.

When I update the kernel on the server, the new menu.lst sets the new kernel as a boot default. When I update the kernel on the laptop, the new menu.lst keeps the old kernel as a boot default. What's up with that?