Margins on Samsung printer

I use a Samsung ML-4500 printer under Fedora Core 2 Linux using Cups.
As far as I can tell, the printer is configured correctly --
nevertheless the printer cannot print the whole page submitted to it; it
cuts off about 0.3 in. at each margin.  As a consequence pages formatted
by Mozilla don't show the header or footer when printed.

Ghostscript includes a *.ps file -- align.ps -- which gives instructions
on how to generate a small file to be prepended to whatever is being
printed so as to correct this problem.  I have printed this file, and
followed the instructions, getting the small file to be prepended,
namely:
        <<
          /.HWMargins [9.36 8.64 10.08 12.24]
          /Margins [-84.0 -126.0]

        setpagedevice

Now my questions:

(1) The Margins command seems to work as described in the Ghostscript
documentation, but the .HWMargins command doesn't seem to do anything.
Is .HWMargins being overwritten somewhere farther down the chain of
filters?  If so, where?

(2) Assuming I can find out what are the correct values to put into this
little file, what is the approved standard way to incorporate it or
something like it into the Cups print system?

Many Thanks - Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh@xxxxxxxxxxx>