patching kernel 2.6.5

Hello from Newuserland!

I've tried to do my homework (Fedora-list archives, web searches, HOWTOs, etc) on this, but haven't come up with an explanation or solution. I recently installed Fedora Core 2 with kernel 2.6.5-1.358, and before doing anything else, want to patch the source and compile the kernel to bring it up to date. I've got patch files for 2.6.6 through 2.6.8.1 and all the signatures check okay. I run into trouble right off the mark (at least it looks like trouble to these aging newbie eyes...) when trying to apply patch-2.6.6 (using "patch -p1 --dry-run < patch-2.6.6").

I get a boat load of errors like this:

  patching file xxxxxxx
  Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
  Apply anyway? [n]

and fewer but still a lot of

  Hunk #n FAILED at xxxx

messages.

Nothing I've read has said to expect much by way of errors during patching, so I'm reluctant to remove the --dry-run parameter and try it for real. Is this normal for patching? Did I miss a step or crucial instruction or information source along the way? Should I "assume -R" and/or "apply anyway"?

TIA!

Alan Brown

Alan Brown Programmer/Analyst Sr Business Information Systems Cornell Information Technologies 607-254-5456 alb45@xxxxxxxxxxx

"There is no nonsense so arrant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action." -- Bertrand Russell: An Outline of Intellectual Rubbish