Re: Linux-friendly ISPs?

Kenneth Porter wrote:
--On Thursday, August 26, 2004 5:52 PM +0000 Mike Markiw III <mmarkiw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The best part is their tech support.  I encountered a service outage once
and even though I was sitting in front of a Red Hat 8 box at the time,
the tech on the other end wasn't phased and we eventually tracked down
the problem to the dsl modem.

This is definitely where SpeakEasy wins. Other ISP's will ask you to hook your Windows box to the cable modem because the script that the first level techs work from can't handle anything else.

A typical call to Comcast by me, before switching back over to Speakeasy:

Me: "My connection's not working. I've checked my machine and it's not the problem. I think your modem has lost sync."

Tech: "What OS are you running?"

M (lying): "Windows."

T: "Did you reboot?"

M (lying again): "Yes."

T: "Can you shut your machine down for me now please?"

[root@eliab root]# ifconfig eth0 down

M: "It's down."

T (with a bit of shock): "That was fast."

M: "Now what?"

T:  "Can you boot it back up please?"

[root@eliab root]# ifconfig eth0 up

M: "Back up."

T (incredulous): "Holy crap!"

M: "I've got a fast machine."

Now, I don't have to deal with it anymore. I do what I want and Speakeasy only ever tells me to reboot the DSL modem (my default action anyways...)

*grin*
--
Doug Stewart