TI83+ calculator USB cable and linux...

Anyone successfully been able to use the link cable to put programs on your calculator? I've looked around online, but I can't find anything that works. I found the tidev debian package, but no source tarball, and I have no idea how to actually send files to the device. Would I mount it in fstab? Most of the stuff I found with a google search is really outdated (2.0-2.2 kernel, or website hasnt been updated since 2002....).

Are there current projects working on this? Is there any GUI based equivalent of thew windows software?