Re: OS installation restarts

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 07:01, Oais Halim wrote:
> I've started a new string taking the suggestion of Robert
>
> "We are communicating via a "hijacked" thread hat was started 'way
> back in March and with a decidedly non-informational subject. If you
> don't have a breakthrough, why don't you start a new thread with a
> subject that is likely to interest more people."
>
>     anyway I tried booting the installation cd in default mode again
> this morning, problem still persists, anyway I'm not experiencing any
> kernel panic like yesterday but the computer reboots while the
> installation is doing a media check, not at a particular point during
> the media check but any point. sometimes it reboot at 27%, sometimes
> at 12%, I tried the memtest86 and waited till it passed once, I
> couldn't find any problem, What do you think the problem could be?

This sounds very similar to a recent problem I had.

>     I have 2 hard drives in my computer, one is for windows and one is
> empty where I'm planning to install Fedora, the windows hard drive is
> set as primary master and the linux harddrive is set as primary slave
> and my cdrom drive is set as secondary master, Is this setup
> conflicting in anyway with the Installation? I have a new cdrom drive
> so a possibility for it to fail is rare. I'm practically stumped at
> the moment. I have no idea what to do. why is it rebooting?
> I hope I get some answers
> thanks and regards
> Oais

Yes and No.

In my problem the machine sometimes would (and sometimes not) complete
the install and then fail on the reboot.
Sometimes it would fail after the second or third reboot.

Nothing seemed consistent or identifiable about what actually was
happening.

The final fix was to reset BIOS to a standard config.  It appeared that
having bios set for optimal performance under one OS caused it to be
unstable under another OS/Version.

I still have not identified exactly which setting was causing the
instability, but after choosing the factory "optimal settings" the OS
now is stable both during install and operation.

YMMV but you may want to look at BIOS settings as a possibility.