Re: LPRng-style printer spec with CUPS?

Hi folks,

balay@xxxxxxxxxxx said:
> - CUPS obsoletes LPRng - so if using apt - it will always prompt to
>   remove LPRng. (i just stick with yum)

	I find that if I do the following, both CUPS and LPRng seem
to run fine:

   rpm -e cups --nodeps
   rpm -i LPRng-3.8.27-1.i386.rpm --replacefiles
   rpm -i cups-1.1.20-11.1.i386.rpm

(The "--replacefiles" is necessary because the LPRng package I'm using
has two file conflicts: /etc/printcap from setup-2.5.33-1 and
/usr/share/man/man1/monitor.1.gz from perl-SGI-FAM-1.002-1.)

	There's still a problem, though:  If, instead of using rpm to
re-install cups, I use "yum install cups" the install procedure ends
up by un-installing LPRng.  The same thing happens if I install an
earlier version of cups, then do a "yum update cups".  This leads
me to believe that LPRng will be nuked the next time I do a "yum update".

	I could always do a "yum --exclude cups update", but then I'd
have to manually watch out for cups updates.

	Does anybody know what the philosophy is behind obsoleting LPRng
with the cups package?  Could the Fedora Core developers be persuaded
to remove this?

						Bryan

Bryan Wright                |"If you take cranberries and stew them like
Physics Department          | applesauce, they taste much more like prunes
University of Virginia      | than rhubarb does."  --  Groucho
Charlottesville, VA  22901  |
(434) 924-7218              |         bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx