Re: FTP Binary , ASCII

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 04:02, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 10:42:41PM -0500, Mike Burger wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, littleguru wrote:
> >
> > > I as reading a book related to cgi scripts , and it mentioned that we
> > > shouldn't upload
> > > scripts through Binary mode , because they will not work .
> > > Would you please explain to me what is the difference between these two
> > > , when is the
> > > best time to upload with each of them .
> >
> > Whomever told you that, told you wrong.  The reverse is actually true.
> > Uploading in ASCII mode can cause your scripts to not work, properly, in
> > that it's possible that you'll have line end/feeds added/removed/changed
> > for each line.
> >
> > Uploading in Binary mode transmits the file, as is, to the destination
> > system.  If a script file fails to run, after uploading in binary mode,
> > then it's either got issues, already, or its file permissions aren't
> > correctly set.
>
> True binary transmits the file exactly and  99 44/100% of the time
> that is what is wanted.

Unless you are dealing with machines of different architectures for
example (from a long time ago) CDC machines with 60 bit words and 6 bit
characters.

> In some cases there is a desire to make the newline conversion as part
> of the transfer process.  This is sometimes needed when editing on
> non Unix style systems (WindowZ) and executing on unix/Linux.
>
> Recently client/server pairs have gotten clever and do this conversion
> on the fly. Perhaps this is because so many windows desktops are used
> to edit content that is then uploaded to Linux.  RTFM on the daemon on
> the Linux side and experiment.

Not exactly. The FTP protocol was designed in the days when there was a
variety of architectures. Correct handling of the ASCII end-of-line is
part of the FTP specification. Any correctly conforming client/server
pair will translate the end-of-line appropriately - provided you use
ASCII mode. This is one of the main reasons for the ASCII mode.

--
Graham Campbell <gc1111@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>