Re: FTP Binary , ASCII

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, littleguru wrote:

> I as reading a book related to cgi scripts , and it mentioned that we
> shouldn't upload
> scripts through Binary mode , because they will not work .
> Would you please explain to me what is the difference between these two
> , when is the
> best time to upload with each of them .

Whomever told you that, told you wrong.  The reverse is actually true.
Uploading in ASCII mode can cause your scripts to not work, properly, in
that it's possible that you'll have line end/feeds added/removed/changed
for each line.

Uploading in Binary mode transmits the file, as is, to the destination
system.  If a script file fails to run, after uploading in binary mode,
then it's either got issues, already, or its file permissions aren't
correctly set.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit