Re: nvidia problems again....

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 03:09, dballester@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Well, for a sysadmin or an advanceduserwithtimetowaste it's fine, but
> if I wanna expand the GNU/Linux in my company, I must convince my
> boss. And i can't say him: 'Well, may be 3 times monthly a new and
> more advanced kernel can be automatically installed for you. Then,
> after reboot, your screen will be flickering for a while, wait for 5
> minutes aprox and then a message saying that X server could not be
> started will be appear. Always answer 'NO' to all messages or your X
> configuration may change, making PROBABLY
> your X server refuse to start, or at least start as supposed. After
> all messages as been answered, log in a console as root. Go, using
> command line, to access the file where the nvidia is and execute it (
> ./ or path, etc... ). -Here explain nvidia installer procedure,
> message and sense- After that, try to start your X server executing
> startx, if all goes well, log out and start multiuser X mode ( telinit
> 5 ). If something goes wrong, stop your work and try to solve the
> problem, if problem persist, call me.

    I understand the feeling.  I had some trouble with Nvidia and the
new kernels for a while.

    But isn't it odd that, with all the technical explanation above that
they _don't_ want, that they'll accept "It's broken and nobody knows how
to fix it without a million-dollar support contract from Microsoft" is
an acceptable alternative?

    What you have to do is get some hardware set up, test out what you
want to do, and THEN roll out the changes when you're satisfied with the
results. I'm about to start a business of my own with the same
technique; it's worked everywhere I've worked before.  Nothing's
guaranteed, ya know?

Brian FahrlÃnder                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller