Re: nvidia problems again....

Hi:

>Did you try the nvidia installer?  It worked fine for me.  I'm not sure
why the
>packages compiled for someone else's configuration is supposed to  be
better.

Well, for a sysadmin or an advanceduserwithtimetowaste it's fine, but if I
wanna expand the GNU/Linux in my company, I must convince my boss. And i
can't say him: 'Well, may be 3 times monthly a new and more advanced kernel
can be automatically installed for you. Then, after reboot, your screen
will be flickering for a while, wait for 5 minutes aprox and then a message
saying that X server could not be started will be appear. Always answer
'NO' to all messages or your X configuration may change, making PROBABLY
your X server refuse to start, or at least start as supposed. After all
messages as been answered, log in a console as root. Go, using command
line, to access the file where the nvidia is and execute it ( ./ or path,
etc... ). -Here explain nvidia installer procedure, message and sense-
After that, try to start your X server executing startx, if all goes well,
log out and start multiuser X mode ( telinit 5 ). If something goes wrong,
stop your work and try to solve the problem, if problem persist, call me.

oh! and some times nvidia releases a new driver version, and no, will not
be autmoatically installed with your croned apt-get dist-upgrade, yes,
that's an advantage of GN U/Linux  world, but this time you will not use
it, you must visit nvidia web at least once a month and see if new releases
are availabe, and if the changes are usefull to you.

And my boss will answer ' Wow, awesome!, install GNU/Linux in all our
computers and have fun!"

For me, the nvidia rpm with apt-get kernel & driver is more than a good
idea. Must be more polished, but it's a good starting point

Regards

David Ballester Montolio
Responsable de Sistemas y Comunicaciones
Kern Pharma, S.L.
www.kernpharma.com

Personalmente, mis problemas de suministro de software legal se limitan a
averiguar qué debo poner detrás de "apt-get install ..." omni en barrapunto

Que parte de /sbin/ifconfig eth0|grep 'inet'|awk -F' ' '{print $2}'|sed -e
s/addr:// no entiendes?
:)
GNU!