firewire disks

I see there has been some discussion of firewire problems in the list
archives but I can't find any real resolution or current status.  I'm
trying to do online backups with backuppc to a software raid set
consisting of one partition on an internal IDE and one on an
external firewire drive, then periodically rotate the external
disk offsite and re-sync to a different one.  The raid activity
is generally irrelevant to the problems I have had except that
since the external drive isn't detected during the boot sequence
any reboot starts the raid in degraded mode and requires a full
re-sync (7 to 8 hours for 250 gigs...) to restore the mirror This has
been tolerable so far because the filesystem can be used anyway.

I have been able to use the drive only under the following
circumstances:
  running FC1  (currently kernel 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl)
  manually modprobe ohci1394 and sbp2
  echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

It doesn't work with any of:
  A different brand of ie1394 card.
  A 'real' scsi device in the machine.
  FC2 (any kernel I've tried).
  Reconnecting a disk without rebooting.

In most of the failure cases the drive shows up under
/proc/bus/ieee1394/devices but not as a scsi device.
I've tried a couple of the re-probe-scsi scripts I've
found on the net with no luck.

Any advice?

---
  Les Mikesell