Re: DVD iso

Lew Bloch wrote:
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 09:59:37 +0100
From: Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
... I was trying to clarify that for Lew. ...

I've been rereading and thinking about the posts offered by Paul and Joe(theWordy) and others - just about every idea has been viable and their value has increased as I consider them. You've all been very helpful; thank you.

I'm bound to try several different approaches. The "burn'em CD boot" approach is a goodn, or I could even mount a bootable Linux partition on the Windows machine. But time and energy are limited, and I get lazy, so experimentation might take a while.

Of course, now everyone who reads the thread knows about Knoppix and like solutions, and can think about NFS and perhaps even Samba. I hope many have benefited.

There's another trick I intend to try, next time I install a new version on my other machine. We all know that you can control the installation remotely by booting "linux vnc" and that you can export the iso file(s) by booting linux "askmethod". I'm wondering if the two can be combined. Along the same lines, there was another thread here just a few days ago that found someone in the UK confronted with finding an idiot-proof method for loading a system here in the US. I think that if I were in that situation commercially (which a number of people here are) or quite a bit younger (which damn near everyone on this list is :(), I would look into a hardware solution built around a watchdog timer and bootstrap in ROM on a PCI card.

Regards

--
Youth is a blunder, manhood a struggle, old age a regret.
		-- Benjamin Disraeli, "Coningsby"

 14:39:00  up 1 day,  1:54,  6 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.14, 0.15
     One billion seconds ago it was 11:52:20 CST Fri 12/15/72