Re: DVD iso

It would appear that on Aug 22, Paul Howarth did say:

> On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 22:16, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
jtwdyp > Pardon me Paul, But I would have thought that when Lew said:
jtwdyp > "download Fedora as the CD-based distro" That he was talking about the
jtwdyp > cd based iso images of Fedora rather than the dvd based images.

Paul > That's what Lew was saying, but I was referring to an earlier reply,
Paul > which Lew had quoted:
> > > Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:21:03 -0700
> > > From: RoboticGolem <roboticgolem@xxxxxxxxx>
> >  > Even then, you could download a cd based distro that copies itself
> >  > to ram and use it to burn your dvd.iso.

Paul > This posting was clearly referring to a Knoppix-like "Live CD" type of
Paul > distribution, so I was trying to clarify that for Lew.
<snip>
Paul > I was under the impression that Lew had already downloaded the DVD ISO
Paul > (which turned out not to be the case), in which case the Knoppix
Paul > solution would have been faster - only one CD.

jtwdyp > Personally I'm quite happy to use CD iso images, and dread the day when
jtwdyp > "CD" images of Fedora may be discontinued due to the majority having
jtwdyp > upgraded to dvd-burners...

Paul > I'm sure people would find workarounds for that, much like they do
Paul > already for the absence of an FC2 boot floppy.

In that case I'd agree that if the Knoppix live CD does in fact support
dvd burning without customizing (not having a dvd burner I wouldn't know)
then I would agree it would be a good recommendation. ( I happen to like
Knoppix for a [rescue cd/ portable, go anywhere linux] ) But I'm not
sure that it would be "faster" unless he started with a mail-order copy of
Knoppix. I believe that the knoppix web page recommends sending for a low
cost cd because of slow download speeds. About which I can only say that
when I decided to download Knoppix ( v3.4 ) this last May it took me
more than a whole day to download in spite of my Comcast broadband
high-speed internet connetion...

As far as people finding workarounds to for (if/when) cd images of Fedora
are totally replaced by dvd images, I would certainly hope so. But I would
be none the less quite annoyed by that potential eventuality.  I mean at
least the absence of a true boot floppy image is justifiable by the fact
that the kernel is now simply to big to fit on a floppy. And I'd think it
would have been quite a project to modify the classic boot/root disk
sequence to pause the loading of the kernel image while the user was
requested to insert a third floppy with the rest of the kernel image...

But in the case of CD vs DVD it is unlikely that any one file would
exceed the size of a CD. So it would only be a case of not bothering to
create the multiple cd image version. Which to me would only be
reasonable (when/if) the [cd-r/cd-rw] media becomes so outdated that it
is no longer available, or at least as hard to get as new 360KB 5.25 inch
floppy disks are today...

But I suppose that if there were an available (supported) utility that
could split the dvd images into cd images while making any modifications
that may be needed to tell anaconda when to ask for which cd, then I
wouldn't mind so much having to use it to get viable cd images.

Still I'm hopping the downloadable cd iso images remain as at least one
of the primary installation methods for many many many years to come.

Well anyway, Have a good one, and thanks for clarifying your point of
view etc...

- --

   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/  #