Re: CD-RW not recognized with new kernel

James Wilkinson schrieb:

Brief workaround: run your CD recording program from a root shell, or
use sudo.

The problem is that CD recording needs some pretty low-level commands
to run. In
http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=2tY9w-713-39%40gated-at.bofh.it&prev=/groups%3Fdq%3D%26num%3D100%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Dlinux.kernel%26start%3D400
(sorry about the length of that!),

Thank you very much for the link to the LKML-thread. Seems very logical, but the immense urgency is quite surprising. Luckily I am not an administrator running 100+ Linux-desktops.

Because there are still some issues. I thought: $ sudo cdrecord resp. $ sudo kb3 would just be the perfect solution, configured it on my private desktop, but then I experienced a problem:

$ sudo k3b was running once - as I remember, since then it crashes when I start to burn (I can open k3b, select the files etc). After that I get a "mutex destroy failure" and ~/.ICEauthoritiy is set to ownership root which prevents a relogin into X as user.

Alan Cox explains

With the current code I can destroy all your hard disks given read
access to the drive. With checks on writable I can destroy all your hard
disks/cdroms as appropriate with write access.

Destroy here means "dead, defunct, pushing up the daisies, go order
a new one kind of dead".

It's considered that being able to do this as a non-root user is a
security bug. Better, more complex workarounds are being worked on: it's
likely that we're going to see cd writing special cased, and only the
commands needed for that allowed through.

You are perfectliy right, but sudo should work (giving away root-passwords is definitely not state of the art). But maybe I missed something configuring /etc/sudoers:

# cat /etc/sudoers
# sudoers file.
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the sudoers man page for the details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# Defaults specification

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
markus  ALL=/usr/bin/cdrecord
markus  ALL=/usr/bin/k3b

# Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands
# %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       ALL

# Same thing without a password
# %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL

# Samples
# %users  ALL=/sbin/mount /cdrom,/sbin/umount /cdrom
# %users  localhost=/sbin/shutdown -h now

Thanks for explaining and the very useful information Markus