Re: OT: Has anyone tried Yoper

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:43:44 -0400, "Aaron Gaudio"
<prothonotar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 16:09 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > billg wrote:
>
> > > Not that I'm all that happy with FC2.  I spent hours today
> > > installing and updating FC2 after deciding to spend sometime
> > > learning Mono. My impressions are the same as when I used FC1:
> > > Great distribution, invisible documentation, up2date is still
> > > broken, and the mirrors vary from bog slow at best to
> > > unresponsive.
> >
> > If you'd try using one of the yum mirrors rather than Red Hat's
> > server, you'd have MUCH better luck.
>
> I don't know about you yum users, but using apt with a combination of
> download.fedora.us and ayo.freshrpms.net I'm very happy with the speed
> of my downloads.

I'm sure faster mirrors exist, but the last thing a new user is going to
do immediately after installing FC2 is go chase down fast mirrors. (It
begs the question of why the initial yum.conf doesn't included more
mirrors, if the RH mirrors are known to be poor.) In any case, I did, in
fact, Google a bit looking for a list of Fedora mirrors ranked by speed,
but found none.  Frankly, too, I was concerned about the integrity of
files I might pull down from unknown mirrors. Plenty of people seem to
be mirroring files, but how do I know that their files are copies of the
"official" files and not their own homebrew versions?

In point of fact, up2date often died during the rpm dependency check,
which seems to indicate a problem unrelated to the mirrors. However,
after 6 or 7 attempts, I did manage to pull down and install all the
updates. Up2date might be broken, but at least it was clever enough to
know which of the 164 megs of files it had already downloaded before it
crashed the last time.