RE: Kernel Problems: Not funny anymore

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 18:11, Seth Bardash wrote:

> 	Does it work if you go back to a previous kernel?  (They
> should still be on the list.)  If it does not work with that either, you
> may have a hardware problem.  Memtest86 is your friend at that point.
>
> He said it worked fine when he went back to the old kernel.
>
> Something was broken between 2.6.5 and = > 2.6.6
>
> We have seen this "auto-reboot" too. We also saw that 2.6.7 broke
> X and how the kernel and X talk to the graphics cards. The
> response was to set the graphics card to vesa. The ATI Rage XL
> should not need this as this has been supported since the 2.2
> kernel.
>
> This is becoming a trend. There seems to be a problem with keeping
> the kernel compatable with existing hardware. It might be nice to
> get a group of users together to start an FC2 or FC3 kernel test
> group so that before a release a large number of motherboard / I/O
> / Drivers combinations can be tested and the results reported back
> to bugzilla and kernel.org.
>
> Just a suggestion..........

    Yeah, and before I go post 20-30K of system information, I kinda
want to see if I'm the only one, or if this is a growing trend.

    I've never had video problems here, though, other than not working
back in the 4k/8k stack timeframe.  Newer versions of the driver work
every time.  Maybe I'm just lucky...

Brian FahrlÃnder                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller