Re: Kernel Problems: Not funny anymore

Seth Bardash wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of alan
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 3:54 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Kernel Problems: Not funny anymore

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Brian Fahrlander wrote:

   So like everyone else I'm updating the home system here with
whatever the repos have available.  Fairly vanilla hardware,

working for

years, and I don't mess with it much, either.

One day 'yum update' offers me kernel-2.6.6-1.435. I reboot

to it,

expecting to have to mess with the Nvidia drivers, but I never

get that

far- instant reboot. No text, no explanation, just BEEP! and I

see the

BIOS re-init.  Very funny.

So I stay with the old kernel, kernel-2.6.7-1.494.2.2. A

couple of

days or weeks go by.

   Today I was offered kernel-2.6.8-1.521.  Instant reboot.

   This is no longer a fluke; this is a trend.

   Questions:

   1.  Is anyone ELSE having this glaring problem?

   2.  What can I do to learn why *I* am having it?

3. Is this thing going to keep happening?

Does it work if you go back to a previous kernel? (They
should still be on the list.) If it does not work with that either, you
may have a hardware problem. Memtest86 is your friend at that point.

He said it worked fine when he went back to the old kernel.

Something was broken between 2.6.5 and = > 2.6.6

We have seen this "auto-reboot" too. We also saw that 2.6.7 broke
X and how the kernel and X talk to the graphics cards. The
response was to set the graphics card to vesa. The ATI Rage XL
should not need this as this has been supported since the 2.2
kernel.

This is becoming a trend. There seems to be a problem with keeping
the kernel compatable with existing hardware. It might be nice to
get a group of users together to start an FC2 or FC3 kernel test
group so that before a release a large number of motherboard / I/O
/ Drivers combinations can be tested and the results reported back
to bugzilla and kernel.org.

Just a suggestion..........

That's what the fedora-test-list is for. They're always looking for more guinea pigs. Join up!

;-)

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-     "Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up this floppy disk?"     -