Re: Kernel Problems

>    2. Kernel Problems:  Not funny anymore (Brian Fahrlander)

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:24:51 -0500
> From: Brian Fahrlander <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Kernel Problems:  Not funny anymore

>     One day 'yum update' offers me kernel-2.6.6-1.435.  I reboot to it,
> expecting to have to mess with the Nvidia drivers, but I never get that
> far- instant reboot.  No text, no explanation, just BEEP! and I see the
> BIOS re-init.  Very funny.
>
>     So I stay with the old kernel, kernel-2.6.7-1.494.2.2.  A couple of
> days or weeks go by.

I think that 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 is a later release than 2.6.6-1.435?

>     Today I was offered kernel-2.6.8-1.521.  Instant reboot.
>     Questions:
>     1.  Is anyone ELSE having this glaring problem?

Currently I am running 2.6.8-1.521 on a Dell 8200 with no apparent
problems other than ntfs currently does not work.  I've tried
downloading the build scripts and creating the rpm on my own, but I
still get a fault.

>     2.  What can I do to learn why *I* am having it?

A hardware list would help, as would any messages in boot.log and
messages.

>     3.  Is this thing going to keep happening?

Hopefully not.

I have a couple of tasks that I have to do every time I upgrade the
kernel.

1. Rebuild NVidia driver
2. Install kernel-ntfs

I normally change /etc/inittab to boot into level 3.  I then build the
new NVidia driver and install it.  Finally, I attempt to build the
kernel-ntfs module and install it.  The last two times building the
kernel-ntfs module have failed (and I get the RPM from
linux-ntfs.sf.net).

Once the first is accomplished, I then change back to run level 5 and
reboot.

If you're having immediate problems with booting, try seeing if you can
boot into single user mode.  Then take a look at the logs and see if
there are problems.

I know, I know - this isn't very informative.  However I hope it gets
you started.

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .