Disappearing Text in Python-Based Utilities?

I've just installed FC2 and can't help but notice that an annoyance I've
seen in RH/Fedora python-based utilities since, at least, 7.3, is still
around.

That is, when I switch away from one of these little apps, say, up2date,
to another desktop, and then switch back to the desktop with the
application, none of app's display text is visible. Sometimes the text
reappears in a few seconds, sometimes after several minutes, sometimes
not at all. This has happened on a variety of machines using a variety
of video cards and monitors. Obviously, progress bars and dialogue
prompts are useless if they are void of text.

Right now, I'm running up2date to refresh that initial install, and it
looks like a box of alternating red, gray and white bands. The only way
I can tell it is still running is the slowly rotating mouse cursor.

What's going on?  Am I just cursed, or is this something that's lingered
unfixed for years?