Re: FC 2 won't shutdown or reboot

Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> But when I need to reboot or shutdown, it won't.  I have to kill the
> power.  Anyone sen this before?  I searched the archives but didn't find
> anything relating to this type of reboot problem.

I asked:
> Even if you run reboot or shutdown (in a terminal)? As root? On a
> console (Ctrl+Alt+F1)?
>
> Do any of the combinations produce any error messages?

Thomas replied:
> Well, just tried a reboot from a console and it hangs there too.

Can you try putting echo statements in /etc/rc.d/rc and see whether
that is run (and if so, how far it gets...)

(I don't know how good you are at shell programming. If you want help
with this, please ask).

It might help if you switched to runlevel 3 (run telinit 3, edit
/etc/inittab and reboot, or edit the kernel command line at reboot)
so there's only the one console to worry about.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "It has taken 24 years to get the Reichstag wrapped.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Chancellor Kohl said it would only be wrapped over