Re: Local Printing (remote printing)

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, William Hooper wrote:

> Brian Truter said:
> [snip]
> > Basically, in our company, we have Regional Managers from all over the
> > midwest call into the system to check their mail and other tasks. They
> > cannot print to their local systems like they were able to using SCO and
> > the lprint command. That command redirected the print back to their
> > terminal, and printed it on their local printer.
> [snip]
>
> Are you using SSH?
>
> Using ssh Port Forwarding to Print at Remote Locations
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5462

Actually with LPRng (client) - you don't need complicated setup for
remote printing. (with remote lpd)

lpr -Pprinter@machine%port

And I use this over ssh port-forwarding (to getthrough firewalls) to
print to a remote printer.

ssh work-box -L10515:printer-box:515
lpr -Pprinter@localhost%10515

So assuming the Regional guys are connecting from a unix/linux box
with lpd - this could easiy be setup. Perhpas not exactly the same
thing as lprint (described above)..

Satish