Re: FC2 hang during install

A while back, Tom Taylor wrote:
> I'm experiencing a hang during install of FC2 using a DVD copy from
> CheapBytes.  I've used this dvd during a previous install on the same
> computer but a different hard drive with success.
>
> The previous hard drive was an array of three 36GB SCSI drives running off an
> Adaptec 29160 controller.  Worked great but wanted to move these to a server
> box to use in a RAID5 system.
>
> Anyway, I replaced the SCSIs with IDE (WD 250GB).  Now, when I boot from the
> dvd and start the gui install it gets as far as "running sbin/loader" and
> hangs.  Just to test, I reinstalled the SCSIs and everything worked fine.
>
> The new drive is not yet formatted.  I plan to use manual partitioning as I
> set up some special partitions.
>
> Hardware:
> Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P workstation board with dual AMD MPs
> 2GB registered RAM
> Video:	nVidia gforce4
> WD 250GB HD on IDE primary master
> ZIP 750 ATAPI on IDE primary slave
> TDK DVD/CD writer on IDE secondary master
> Plextor DVD/CD writer on IDE secondary slave
>
> I suppose I could CHEAT and install some other linux (SuSE or RH) on the new
> drive but that defeats the purpose of making a FRESH install on this drive.

Are there any BIOS updates for this motherboard?

Have you tried a smaller IDE drive? Have you tried "clipping" the drive
down to a smaller size (I'm not sure if WD support this).

I'd be interested to hear if either of the other two OSes install.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "[the computer] belonged to our Rabid NT Guy, and we
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | called it Kant partly because we were naming servers