RE: [OT] Dell D600 + NIC Troubles

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 20:08, Andrew_Morgan@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Can you give us the service tag for the system?
mm.. a dell person.
Not to divulge any more than I need to, some background.

1 yr Old D600
No issues (once with Dead battery and Poor AC Adapter but that's minor)
Last Friday, Dell came over to replace the M/B due to my Multimedia keys
not working.

This replacement motherboard had the NIC choking like every 1+ hour.
Running Windows/Linux had the same issue.(and once it choked, it's
likely that Re-booting will fail. Meaning, I turn the power on, the 3
lights on the indicators will light for like 3 secs and then power goes
off. Usually, removing the ram and reseating it will work. But
sometimes, it will give me Memory Write/Read Fail at 12383XX expected
23442XX and refuse to boot up)

The only thing which I could tell which was wrong was the "Loopback -
PHY" and "Loopback - MAC" test which failed.

My Bro's D400 passed the test, so did a Dimension 2400.

Then Dell came with another M/B replacement. Still failed the Broadcom
Adv Control Suite Test.

So, Dell had me re-install XP (luckily I had a spare 2.5" lying around).
I did that, and installed only the NIC Drivers and the Diagnostics. It
Passed.

I then took my partimage of XP created 4 months ago and restored it,
Still the same issue.

Hence, I figure that there's some config issues. I'm not gonna worry
about it. It works. And it works in Linux, that's all I'm worried about.

Cheers

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel