Re: Slow Samba

Thank you to all who responded!

I have found the problem! It is kernel related because when I boot with 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.smp the problem goes away. The kernel that is slow is the current 2.6.7-1 kernel from the update servers.

The bad thing is there is a kernel oops in 2.6.6 with Samba so I really wanted to use 2.6.7. Where would I get that testing kernel that Satish Balay mentioned in an earlier email I'll give that a whirl.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Pumer wrote:

Hi all,

I have googled and reviewed the fedora archives with no luck.

Basically, copying large amounts of data to linux samba shares is very slow (150-1500mb transfers, multiple files) running about 40Kb/s

FTPing by IP address or host file name resolution rocked!!! In the2-14Mb/s range.

Is it a dns lookup problem?

Details ----
- I have IPv6 disabled.
- According to gkrellm when I try to copy files from a windows xp box to my samba share on my linux machines I get about a 40k transfer rate. CPU utilization and HDD utilization is very low so clearly not the bottleneck. My transfer rate is identical with different network cards, different machines, 386 vs amd64, different kernels (2.6.6 and 2.6.7). I can download on my DSL modem at 150Kbs so assuming the units are correct it seems really slow.

- I also tried to scp with about the same low transfer rates.

When the really fast ftp transfer happens I see a the utilazation for both the cpu and hdd go up as expected simce it works so much faster.

Thanks in Advance,
Scott