Re: Slow Samba

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Pumer" <rpumer@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 7:41 PM
Subject: Slow Samba

> Hi all,
>
> I have googled and reviewed the fedora archives with no luck.
>
> Basically, copying large amounts of data to linux samba shares is very
> slow (150-1500mb transfers, multiple files) running about 40Kb/s
>
> FTPing by IP address or host file name resolution rocked!!! In
> the2-14Mb/s range.
>
> Is it a dns lookup problem?
>
> Details ----
> - I have IPv6 disabled.
> - According to gkrellm when I try to copy files from a windows xp box to
> my samba share on my linux machines I get about a 40k transfer rate.
> CPU utilization and HDD utilization is very low so clearly not the
> bottleneck.  My transfer rate is identical with different network cards,
> different machines, 386 vs amd64, different kernels (2.6.6 and 2.6.7).
> I can download on my DSL modem at 150Kbs so assuming the units are
> correct it seems really slow.
>
> - I also tried to scp with about the same low transfer rates.
>
> When the really fast ftp transfer happens I see a the utilazation for
> both the cpu and hdd go up as expected simce it works so much faster.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Scott

For grins I just did a few tests copying large zip files in my office.
Client machine is a 2.5GHz Celeron emachine running XP Home
with 512 MB RAM.

Samba server is an 800 Mhz Celeron  emachine with 512MB RAM
running FC2 fully patched.

The network is 100MB switched. The server system is a development box
and lightly used.

Copying a 315MB zip file to the samba server took 52 seconds.
Copying a 420MB zip file to the samba server took 65 seconds.

You might want to look in your /etc/samba/smb.conf file and make
certain the following is uncommented:

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

If I remember correctly I ran into issues just copying my smb.conf from a RH7.3 system
running Samba 2.xxx to FC1+FC2 running Samba 3.xxx.

That could be part of the problem if you did that.

Hope this helps,

Mike