Re: RH9 or FC2 on Laptop with WiFi

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:58:10 -0400, Lotsa Cabo <lotsacabo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Many many moons ago I installed RH9 on my Toshiba 5005-S507 and had to
> pay for a support incident to get the wireless, sound, and even the
> keyboard working correctly.  It's running XP Pro (there's an oxi-moron)
> again and I would like to install FC2 or another build of Linux that
> would allow me to be up and running with as little tweaking as
> possible.  Burned on CD, I currently have the following to choose
> from...
>
>         Red Hat v9.0 (my first preference)
>         Fedora Core 1
>         Fedora Core 2 (my second preference)
>         FreeBSD v5.1
>         Lindows OS v4.0 (yuck)
>         Mandrake Linux v9.0
>
> The configuration of the machine is as follows:
>
>         Toshiba 5005-S507 laptop
>         1.2 GHz / 512 MB / 40 GB
>         nVidia GeForce4 440 Go
>         Linksys 802.11G 2.4GHz Wireless NIC (WPC54G v1.2)
>         Yama AC-XG Audio chipset
>         Onboard NIC physically disabled
>         Don't care about the onboard modem
>
> A couple of notes...
>
> 1. My overall goal is to get off of M$ and port my apps from C#/.NET to
> something more cross-platform.  Initially, admittedly, it will probably
> be Mono, but it will probably then move into strict Java.  My goal is
> to get comfy with the OS and develop in a language I understand.  Then,
> when I'm more comfortable, start moving to the next language.
>
> 2. I would love to download something else, but because of hurricane
> Chrarlie, I am on dial-up for the forseeable future.  If there IS a
> distro out there that would be better for this, then I CAN get access
> to a fast connection.  It's just gonna take a day or so.
>
> 3. Please don't think I'm being lazy with not wanting to spend time
> tweaking the OS to get it up.  I just need to stay productive.  I don't
> mind spending a few minutes each day trying to learn or figure
> something out, but I cannot devote days to it at one shot.
>
> 4. I DO NOT MIND PAYING FOR WHATEVER BUILD IT GET, AS LONG AS IT'S
> CLEAN AND STABLE.  However, I do not feel that I NEED to pay for it.
> Just keep in mind that money for the distro is not an issue here.
>
> I sincerely appreciate any, and all, input you can give.
>
> Thanx,
> Ryan

Ryan,

Here's a link to a page that is dedicated to putting RH9 and even FC2
on your model laptop.
http://www.condorito.org/toshiba/

I found it by going to http://www.linux-on-laptops.com, selecting
Toshiba, then scrolling down to your laptop model.

This has got to be one of the best websites in which I owe my own
sanity to as the pages on there about my laptop have saved me tons of
time!

I'd recommend FC2 as he even has updated his page to include how to
install FC2 on your model and tweak it.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Kevin
--