changing permissions

Hello!

I am finally getting around to fixing up a rew niggling irritations. Or trying to. I haven't been able to write to my windows partition and have tried changing the ownership of it from root to me. The graphical users program just quietly changes it back to root. Is there some sort of problem with someone other than root being able to write to the windows partition? I need to be able to copy files to that partition because as yet I haven't sorted out my samba shares (I'm reading throught the documentation very carefully) and I want other windows users on my little network to have access to the files on that partition (large files too big to be put on a floppy). But, of course, I can't copy a downloaded file to it.

Shelagh