Re: Reository wisdom (not lookin' fer howtos)

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 13:22, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>     I guess I'll just do whatever the main mirrors are doing; this isn't
> a small project; and it needs to be done right.

rsync is what many/most of the mirrors use. With good, creative use of
"exclude-from" and "include-from" you can sync almost anything or any
combination of things. It's not only what most of them use, it's easy as
pie, too.

To be honest with you the proxy server idea sounded complicated to me.
Just keep a local copy of the updates and/or release directories with
rsync and you're off to the races.

Oh, and one hint... for every release, I download *only* the ISO images.
I then unpack those and populate the proper directories (takes about
three commands and is dead easy) from the ISO files. Given 6 CD images,
saves me from downloading an additional 3.5GB (and putting that
additional load on someone's server, too).

I used to run a mirror and I kept the whole tree on my disk at home, so
I have about 60GB of the Red Hat FTP tree local. <grin> I can share my
rsync script and my include/exclude files, if you like. No secret.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Simpaticus.com