Re: FC2 - Strange Ethernet Behavior

Thanks for the suggestions, John M. I've looked in /var/log/messages, nothing of any consequence there as I can see. I'll look again, though, maybe I missed something.

As for tethereal - heh, been staring at such output all day for a couple days now, almost. When under normal load levels for the machine I'm testing with, packet traffic flies on by at a good clip and is all SHORT bursts - dns lookups, broadcasts by Win hosts for browse masters, etc. All that short burst traffic works just fine. Then I start a sustained load, like a LAN file copy or a big mysql pull or something, and the tethereal output starts out normally, but then just slows down after 1MB of sustained traffic - kinda weird to see it happen like that. I can't quite tell from looking at it who's waiting for what. There's no obvious packet errors or dropping or anything like that which i can see. But, I'll snip a clip from the output at the moment of slowdown & post it here. Maybe y'all can see something I wouldn't - in a bit over my head when we start talking the inner workings of packets... still learning.

John K.

John Meagher wrote:

You seem to have been pretty methodical about this. You didn't mention anything about messages in /var/log/messages, though. Often there's a clue there, if syslog.conf is set up to allow it.
Maybe if you ran ethereal or tethereal on the machine while it's being slow you could learn which end is waiting for what.