Re: Problems with CD-R

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 10:52 -0500, A. Gautier wrote:
> I just upgraded from FC2, clean install for the upgrade.  But now my CD-R
> does not work.  Well, that is not true it works fine as root but not as my
> normal user.  I have tried to look for a bug report in Bugzilla to no
> avail.  TIA.  I am using a USB connected CD-R.

I would say "don't use ide-scsi" but in the case of a USB connected CD-R
I'm not really sure if that is the correct answer. Your output below
indicates that it is ATAPI, so you might try using the ide-cd module
instead. In that case -scanbus probably won't do anything at all for
you; you'll have to find out which ide device the CD-R comes up as
(check dmesg or /var/log/messages, or maybe use udev, which I'm not too
familiar with personally).

At any rate, I know that even in kernel 2.4 when I used ide-scsi I was
never able to scan the SCSI bus as anyone other than root, which is
probably a good thing. I believe giving generic users access to the raw
sg device is a security risk (just as giving them access to the raw ide
device would be).