Re: FC1 ghostscript update requires gdk-pixbuf and gtk+?

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 10:20, Andreas Mueller wrote:
>Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>> > Think of a small text-only server with hylafax. Hylafax needs
>> > ghostscript. And ghostscript pulls in urw-fonts, urw-fonts
>> > needs /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontscale (provided by
>> > XFree86-font-utils) -> libXfont.so.1 (provided by XFree86-libs)
>> > -> freetype. This is just *one* path of dependencies. The effect
>> > is that I don't have a text-only server, now I have a lot of X
>> > stuff that I don't want.
>>
>> That's what you already had *before* this new rpm.
>
>Correct, and I didn't like it before.
>
>> The new rpm added gdk-pixbuf and gtk+. Yes, this adds some more
>> packages and wastes more disk space, but ... is it really
>> important? Most of the packages required by gdk-pixbuf/gtk+
>> already are required elsewhere, so, though it is not nice, this
>> should not be an actual problem.
>
>For me it is a problem. You can build a machine without a graphics
> card, but need to have XFree86-Mesa-libGL installed if you want to
> use ghostscript.
>
>(@Michael)
>There is a seperate package for gsx, called ghostscript-gtk, but the
>only file in this package is gsx itself. I see no problem that
> *this* package depends on gtk and gdk-pixbuf, but why ghostscript?
>
>> >  And the next
>> > logical step is to install gtk+ and gdk-pixbuf?
>>
>> No, definitely not - As I said above, it isn't nice.
>>
>> My point is elsewhere: ghostscript for FC2 already depends on gtk2
>> (which comprises gdk-pixbuf-2).
>>
>> So if you consider the ghostscript update pulling-in gtk+ to be a
>> packaging regression, then this regression had happened before the
>> FC1/update package and also is present in FC2.
>>
>> => either there is a general packaging bug in both FC1/updates and
>> FC2+, and packaging regression that needs to be addressed, or
>> these dependencies are the nominal ghostscript dependencies you
>> have got to learn to live with.
>
>I don't think that it is a ghostscript dependency. At least the
>ghostscript ./configure can be instructed to not use X11 at all, but
> I didn't look at Red Hat's patches, the ghostscript.spec is really
> ugly.
>
>I think I have to consider other distributions for text-only
> servers.
>
>Regards,
>Andreas

I have to agree with Andreas here.  Having built gs as early as 2.5.2
from scratch on systems that don't have the video graphics facilities
that linux has, I know that gs can function as a *print* medium
interpretor only, one whose output is never intended to be viewed by
any means other than sending it to a printer, so I believe that gs
itself should remain pure and free from such visuals.  If you want to
see its output on screen, then by all means build the x emulations as
a seperate optional package, but do NOT saddle the std gs
distribution with eye candy thats totally worthless when its used as
a translator between a file and the printers input data cable.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)