Re: FC1 ghostscript update requires gdk-pixbuf and gtk+?

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 14:34, Andreas Mueller wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 11:28, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > > I think this is something I'm going to have to let the Fedora
> > > Legacy project address if need be -- but I do wish that I hadn't
> > > started down this path in the first place.
> > >
> > > Sorry for the mess.
> >
> > Which mess?
> >
> > ghostscript/FC2 requires gtk2 and gdk_pixbuf2, ghostscript/FC1
> > requires their gtk1 counterparts, where is the problem?
>
> Think of a small text-only server with hylafax. Hylafax needs
> ghostscript. And ghostscript pulls in urw-fonts, urw-fonts
> needs /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontscale (provided by XFree86-font-utils) ->
> libXfont.so.1 (provided by XFree86-libs) -> freetype. This is just
> *one* path of dependencies. The effect is that I don't have a text-only
> server, now I have a lot of X stuff that I don't want.

That's what you already had *before* this new rpm.

The new rpm added gdk-pixbuf and gtk+. Yes, this adds some more packages
and wastes more disk space, but ... is it really important? Most of the
packages required by gdk-pixbuf/gtk+ already are required elsewhere, so,
though it is not nice, this should not be an actual problem.

>  And the next
> logical step is to install gtk+ and gdk-pixbuf?
No, definitely not - As I said above, it isn't nice.

My point is elsewhere: ghostscript for FC2 already depends on gtk2
(which comprises gdk-pixbuf-2).

So if you consider the ghostscript update pulling-in gtk+ to be a
packaging regression, then this regression had happened before the
FC1/update package and also is present in FC2.

=> either there is a general packaging bug in both FC1/updates and FC2+,
and packaging regression that needs to be addressed, or these
dependencies are the nominal ghostscript dependencies you have got to
learn to live with.

Ralf