Re: Replacing disk in Linux Software RAID 1

jludwig wrote:
On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 11:26, Robin Laing wrote:

Michael Mansour wrote:

Hi Robin,

Would it be possible to write the MBR to the second
disk just in case?
--
Robin Laing

Yes, I've tested this by removing the first drive and
writing grub to the MBR of the second drive and it did
work fine, although when putting the first drive back
in there then I had the issue with two MBR's which got
things a little confused.

Basically, what I learnt from that saga is that grub
should only reside on one drive.

Michael.

I for one when I was a system admin, did not like getting called in at 03:00 due to a crash. And doesn't always seem to happen at 03:00 when things go bad? :)

I feel it should be there. Now if you do write it to the second disk and you have problems, this could be a problem.

--
Robin Laing

Many newer BIOS' will allow for booting off of a secondary drive.

If this is the case with your machine I would just load the second drive
where it sits and just change the BIOS setting if necessary.

(I used to do this with SCSI and IDE for a duel boot system.)

This isn't the issue.

As stated by Michael, having Grub on the second drive caused problems. My point was in a situation where your /boot is actually part of a Raid array, and the second drive "cannot have Grub on it" then it isn't much use in an emergency as you will have to have a copy of the MBR to update your second drive.

Is this an issue with RAID or Grub or the Bios?

--
Robin Laing