Re: Package List and Description

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 10:05 -0400, Thom Paine wrote:
> I have no idea what all the different packages in Fedora do, and was
> wondering if there was a description similar to when it is loading what
> the package is for.
>
> Is there an rpm that tells that sort of thing, so that I can just mount
> my dvd and scroll through it?
>
> Bruno just mentioned k3b for writing cd's and dvd's and I just loaded
> that and it looks very useful.
>
> I just don't know what all the packages do that are on the CD.
>
> Thanks.

Thom,

If you want to know what a particular package you have installed does,
you can use 'rpm -qi [packagename]' to get a summary. Beyond that,
documentation is usually in /usr/share/doc/[packagename]-[version].

RH used to also have a file that included the package db for all the
packages that came on the CDs. Then, you could point rpm to that db
instead of the default when you did you query: 'rpm --dbpath ...'. I
don't know if Fedora still has that.

As for me, if I want information on a package I don't have installed, I
usually use synaptic to see it, since I'm an avid apt user. Yum/up2date
may have a similar way to do this.