Problems with USB mouse in X

We have purchased two Dell Optiplex GX270 PCs recently and they came
with optical USB mice. When installing FC2 on those PCs, I have
selected the option "Generic Wheel Mouse (USB)" in mouseconfig. It
worked fine. However, once in a while, the mouse stops working in X.
The pointer simply disappears from the screen. The mouse starts
working again if you simply unplug and plug it in again. I see the
following messages in console:

usb 1-7: USB disconnect, address 12
usb 1-7: new high speed USB device using address 13

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

By the way, in the old RedHat Linux days, there used to be an option
in mouseconfig for "MS Intelimouse" for USB, PS2, and Serial ports. I
always selected this options for wheel mice, including the USB ones,
even when the mouse was not obviously made by MS and it worked just
fine. However, in FC2 there is only serial "MS Intelimouse" option.
Was there a good reason to remove the options for PS2 and USB "MS
Intelimouse"?

-akop