scsi cdrw and kernel 2.6

Hello fellow fedorians,

Since moving from FC1 to FC2 and thus from kernel 2.4 to 2.6, I've been
unable to burn CDs with my scsi cdrw drive. Googling around searching on
"scsi", "cdrecord" and the like brings up threads about people with
ATAPI drives no longer needing to enable scsi emulation or something
along those lines, but there's nothing addressing actual scsi drives
that are no longer able to burn. I've never had a problem burning CDs
until installing FC2. Can anybody suggest what my problem may be? I'm
really stumped.

The drive is a Pextor Plexwriter PX-W1210S and is /dev/cdrom1 which is a
link to /dev/scd0. The scsi card is a Bus logic BT-946C. I also have a
DVD drive installed (not a writer) which is ATAPI and /dev/hdc. Both
drives work for mounting data disks, playing music cd's and playing dvd
movies (on the dvd drive). I've tried shutting off the ATAPI dvd drive
to see if that was confusing things but it made no difference.

Also worth noting is that if I shut down and boot into Knoppix 3.3
(which uses kernel 2.4) I can burn CDs just fine but booting into
Knoppix 3.4 (which uses kernel 2.6) fails. So at least I know that the
hardware is still functioning properly.

Here is the log from an attempt to burn a disk using gcombust in FC2 (I
get the same result using any other front end):
/usr/bin/cdrecord: No write mode specified.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive
dependent defaults.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
scsidev: '0,4,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 4 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.31
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
<warly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning Linux Bus mapping botch.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/sg*'.
Cannot open SCSI driver.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make
sure you are root.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord
dev=help'.

scsidev: '0,4,0' is correct but what the heck is /dev/sg* that can't be
opened? I don't recall seeing that before.

cdrecord -scanbus gives me:

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
<warly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.31
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c     1.80
04/03/08 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'SanDisk ' 'ImageMate II    ' '1.30' Removable Disk
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

That scsibus1 is a USB compact flash card reader. It doesn't even see
scsibus0 which is the actual scsi card. I've no clue where to turn from
here and any pointers would be most appreciated. I don't want to roll
back to kernel 2.4 as there are other things that work better with 2.6
(like the tv tuner card!).

thanks for any help!