Re: Fedora Core 2, Adaptec ASH-1233 pci ide controller ultra ata card

James Wilkinson wrote:

Mitch Wiedemann posted a long how-to on adding a PCI ATA adapter card.

Thank you very much. I've got a few observations, though:

SITUATION:
I have in my computer two hard disk drives (/dev/hda & /dev/hdb), and two CD drives (/dev/scd0 (CDRW) and /dev/hdd (DVD)) connected to the motherboard IDE controller.

That's not necessarily optimal: but you know that. I assume you've got them spread out better now?

No, actually I didn't know that... You mean for speed of data transfers? Put my HDDs on different cables? Whaddaya mean?

Any reason why you're still using ide-scsi for the CDRW?

Um. Ignorance? That's how FC2 set it up. and it works, so I haven't changed it. How should it be done differently? What are the advantages of doing it differently?

PROBLEM:
When I installed the card and connected some extra hard disk drives to its cables, the Fedora Core 2 Linux kernel loaded the drivers for the ide controllers in the wrong order. It loaded the Adaptec ASH-1233 driver first, thereby making the spare drives attached to it /dev/hda and /dev/hdc (they were both set as single, master devices on their respective cables). My motherboard ide controller driver was loaded next, causing my existing Linux drives to become /dev/hde and /dev/hdf and my CD drives /dev/hdg and /dev/hdh! The system would boot, but the swap and my home partition were unavailable.

I'm guessing that you refer to your home partition in /etc/fstab by device, not label. You've just found one reason why Red Hat and Fedora prefer using labels...

James.

Yes, I thought of reconfiguring everything so that the system would work with the Linux partitions as /dev/hde and /dev/hdf, but I'm the sort of guy who likes to stay up late figuring out how to make a computer do what I want it to do, not the other way 'round. I like my primary OS partition to be on /dev/hda. I don't even have a really good reason why, other than I know to be REALLY careful when fiddling with /dev/hda. I'm fairly stubborn that way. Does my stubborness make sense? Not always. And it often causes me to lose sleep, but whaddaya gonna do? :)

--
Mitch Wiedemann
mc^2 Computer Consulting