Re: Fedora Core 2, Adaptec ASH-1233 pci ide controller ultra ata card

Mitch Wiedemann posted a long how-to on adding a PCI ATA adapter card.

Thank you very much. I've got a few observations, though:
> SITUATION:
> I have in my computer two hard disk drives (/dev/hda & /dev/hdb), and
> two CD drives (/dev/scd0 (CDRW) and /dev/hdd (DVD)) connected to the
> motherboard IDE controller.

That's not necessarily optimal: but you know that. I assume you've got
them spread out better now?

Any reason why you're still using ide-scsi for the CDRW?

> PROBLEM:
> When I installed the card and connected some extra hard disk drives to
> its cables, the Fedora Core 2 Linux kernel loaded the drivers for the
> ide controllers in the wrong order.  It loaded the Adaptec ASH-1233
> driver first, thereby making the spare drives attached to it /dev/hda
> and /dev/hdc (they were both set as single, master devices on their
> respective cables).  My motherboard ide controller driver was loaded
> next, causing my existing Linux drives to become /dev/hde and /dev/hdf
> and my CD drives /dev/hdg and /dev/hdh!  The system would boot, but the
> swap and my home partition were unavailable.

I'm guessing that you refer to your home partition in /etc/fstab by
device, not label. You've just found one reason why Red Hat and Fedora
prefer using labels...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Vestry:  A fabulous beast with twice as many legs as
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | heads which mutates yearly. Dedicated to handling