Re: Dual boot XP Pro and Fedora

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 08:31, Hardy Merrill wrote:
> I feel your pain ;-)
>
> Likewise, I am having trouble getting my dual boot to
> work.  WindozeXP was installed first, then I _had_ FC1
> installed - all worked fine.  Then yesterday I did a
> clean install (removing the existing _linux_
> partitions) of FC2.  Since then, I can boot into
> WinXP, but the boot of FC2 just hangs and never comes
> up.
>
> Pointers or help?

I had a huge problem when I set my machine back up. I have an Intel
D865PERL mainboard with 2 SATA ports on it. I decided that I would like
to run SATA only, and I would stick in an IDE DVD-RW and IDE DVD-ROM.
The Xp installation went okay, with it occupying the 160G SATA0 drive,
and Fedora was to install to the second SATA drive by itself. I had a
few extra reasons to do it this way, one of which is when I make a ghost
disc, it creates it's own mini partition on the SATA0 drive to boot from
when you want to make an image. (I'm just experimenting with this a
bit). When I had FC1 and XP on the same drive, I had used up all 4 of my
available primary partitions.

Anyhoo, XP installed nicely, as did Fedora. It installed in about 20
minutes from the DVD iso and I quickly set Fedora to be the default and
XP to be the one that needed to be picked. Well, I started getting
errors trying to boot up. Grub kept complaining about unable to find
some target or some other such error. I don't recall exactly what they
were, because I didn't write them down. I just left it on the screen
when I went into freenode to ask about it from another machine.

Long story long, it turns out that my mainboard wasn't picking up SATA1
in the bios. Fedora saw it and happily installed there, but nothing I
could do was I able to get the bios to see it. I upgraded to the latest
flash from Intel, and still nothing. I switched them around and it
always only saw the drive hooked up to SATA0. As a last try, I went in
and reset all the bios defaults to 'optimal' and then it somehow rescan
everything and all my devices showed up and were detected. I had no
problem booting after that.

The only reason I didn't restart from scratch was that I had dumped 40G
of stuff on to my XP partition after I reinstalled it, and kinda wanted
to keep it.

Just my .005 CAD.

-=/>Thom