RE: [OT] Dell D600 + NIC Troubles

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 Andrew_Morgan@xxxxxxxx wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Ow Mun Heng
Sent: 17 August 2004 10:27
To: Fedora-List
Subject: [OT] Dell D600 + NIC Troubles
Please help, Dell is giving me a *&^ of a time because I also Run Linux.

i've had to deal with that nonsense several times over the last few years. i've been the happy owner of both a 7500 and an 8100 inspiron, but i always dread calling dell for tech support because, inevitably, the first suggestion is to run the dell-supplied, windows-based diagnostics. and when i point out that i'm not running windows, but linux, there is a several second pause, at which point i am *invariably* told that, well, i have to re-install the windows that came with the system because we *need* to run those diagnostics. at which point, i politely but *firmly* explain that we will be doing no such thing, and that mr. dell person better listen really carefully to what i'm trying to say. never fails.

i'm not convinced that any of the major vendors is taking linux seriously yet. not dell. and not, despite their massive financial investment, ibm. exhibit A: today's "globe and mail", with big ibm ad in business section, selling desktops and laptops, and prominent writing "IBM recommends Microsoft Windows XP Professional for Business." yes, i'm sure they have no choice, it's part of some kind of arm-twisting microsoft licensing agreement, i suspect.

good thing the US DOJ put such a smackdown on microsoft back then. god only knows how they'd abuse their monopoly position if it weren't for that. :-)

anyway, the point is, despite all the "we like linux" happy talk from the major vendors, if you run linux, you still have to fight to be treated like a first-class citizen.

rday