Re: Separate shell and www servers...

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 11:28 -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>     I want to separate our web server from our shell server and put them
> on separate machines.

OK...

> Right now, each user has their own little web
> folder under their home directory.  What's the best way to accomplish
> this separation task?  Create one mountable partition, and have symlinks
> to individual (user) folders with in that?

Many web hosts I've seen will place all web content into the
DocumentRoot and then assign permissions accordingly.  Then they symlink
the user's web directory to ~/public_html to make it visible in SSH/FTP.

For example, one web host I use does this:
  /usr/home  - Home
  /usr/www   - Web (Apache DocumentRoot)
  /usr/boxes - Mailboxes

So, user "bob" would have these directories:
  /usr/home/bob
  /usr/www/bob
  /usr/boxes/bob

And a convenient symlink:
  /usr/home/bob/public_html -> /usr/www/bob

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/